ERASMO DEPARTMENT - L2/L3 LANGUAGES
Responsible teacher: Prof. Laura Caselli
Laura Caselli has been working at the Liceo Galilei since 2009 after obtaining a degree in modern and contemporary foreign languages and literatures (English and German) in 1993 and after having worked for several years as an employee in the foreign sales office of a local publishing house.
He has followed several training courses specializing in inclusion issues in relation to specific learning disabilities and special educational needs, and works as a teacher in the home education and hospital school sectors. After obtaining the first level Master's degree in " organization and management of educational institutions in multicultural contexts " in 2018, she is the promoter of initiatives aimed at intercultural integration and support for learning Italian as a foreign language. It takes care of the training of students and teachers to obtain CEFR linguistic certifications and in the CLIL methodology, both at institute level and in university training courses at regional level.
Mission of the Department
The Erasmus Department is the heart and nerve center of foreign language teaching at the Liceo Galilei and presents itself as a driving force for innovative thrusts at a methodological level for the entire institute. The department aims for a better and more organic management of the educational process for learning foreign languages, promoting ever greater integration in the activity of its teachers and favoring oriented teaching of the discipline , basing it on complex organizational and methodological levels, both internal to the 'institute that national and international. On an operational level, the Erasmus Department aims to provide qualitative homogeneity to the teaching of all foreign languages taught through the sharing and monitoring of processes, timely analysis of situations and evaluation actions functional to increasing educational success.
Primary responsibility of all its member teachers is to oversee the inevitable critical links of the didactic management of L2 teaching , avoiding causal indeterminacy to provide clarity between the means and ends of teaching and to increase the ability to develop interventions more corresponding to the designs and intentional strategies and the training needs of students.
In its task of enhancing the curricular study plan and optimizing programming also at a transversal level, the L2 department proposes itself as a " learning organization " , a sort of advanced educational planning laboratory or a community of practice that implements the necessary mediation between discipline-research and discipline-teaching, exerting stress not only on disciplinary knowledge, but also on the processes of transmitting content and, what is more important, on those of activating skills.
In order to systematically develop the cultural and methodological choices of teaching English - and other languages - through the PLE, the teachers of the Department pay particular attention to the design of shared teaching tools, to the development of methodological research, to consultancy and support towards teachers from other departments, but above all they aim at facilitating the process for increasing the quality of training planning and the effectiveness of teaching/learning.
Strategic operational choices
The working methodology of the Erasmo Department, widely shared by all teachers, is that of action research, i.e. the systematic study of operational contexts and the evaluation of teaching choices to change and improve educational practice, both through practical actions and reflections. on the effects of such actions. The object of the research always remains rooted in the classes for which the department is committed to designing and building projects, identifying needs, testing resources and opportunities, choosing strategies, experimenting in the field and carrying out appropriate disciplinary analyzes to arrive at to the construction of learning and training units that can be capitalised, above all by reorganizing teaching according to ability and skills. The strategic operational choices of the L 2 department are primarily aimed at the following areas:
- sharing recurring terminology in the process of educational management and basic operational agreements;
- definition of tasks and methods of communication and analysis of organizational and operational solutions, also through functional divisions of the same department;
- restructuring of the general aims of teaching the subject, of its specific objectives, of the founding nuclei of the discipline and of the standards based on skills, with particular reference to pragmatic and functional skills;
- planning for skills, abilities and cultural axes recalling the context of action, contents, tools etc.;
- design of common modules for skills, identifying and codifying the most significant training units;
- educational planning of common tests and possible certification paths at the end of the first and second two-year periods;
- creation of rubrics for assessing skills;
- verification of the transparency and applicability of the evaluation descriptors;
- creation of tools for observation and evaluation of the learning process;
- study and consultancy actions on behalf of the Teaching Body;
- support and monitoring actions on the Institute's interdepartmental projects, in particular in reference to CLIL.
This strategy is implemented with a view to the strategic lines of the overall framework of the Three-Year Educational Offer Plan , helping to outline the school's identity mandate and relaunch its role of excellence in the territory.